golden italy ostia

Ostia Antica Suburb

golden italy ostia The visit to Ostia Antica allows to experience both the actual everyday life of the small Roman city and at the same time the incontaminated roman ruins wGolgen Tulip Rome Airporth have been preserved in a great green environment.The old city can be crosssed going through the decumanus maximum that goes from porta romana to porta marina.

The tradition believes that the first settlement of Ostia (Ostium = mouth of river) was done by Anco Marzio even though the findings of architectural clay are dated in VI- V Century B.C.

The settlement, was founded at t6he end of the V century as a fortified city with a rectangular form but due to the importance that Rome had throught the commerce the city started to expand. With Augustu and his successors the city had a theathre, a forum and of an acqueduct but it is thanks to the contruccion of the Port of Claudius and Traianus that the city become more important since became the administrative and the directional center of commerce. It is under Adrianus that the city reached 50.000 inhabitants.


Untill the age of the Severi family the city of Ostia was enjoying the imperial favour but after the half of the III century it started to decline while Portus was given by Constantine the administrative autonomy. At the beginПing of the V Century the ostiensis wing of the Tiber was not navigable any more and most of the areas of the city started to be abandoned.

The last renovations were done during the Teodoric Age, later on the inhabitants concentrated in the actual area of the village where Gregory IV established a Gregoriopolis. The progressive shalving caused the decline of the city.

Читайте также:  белые вина италии

The first excavations of Ostia were done under Pius VII in 1802-1804, and later on by Pius IX. It is in 1907 with Dante Vaglieri that the north part of the city was discovered and Moreоver thanks to Guido Calza that the city could be visited for 34 hectars in fact he was motived by the Universal Exposion of 1942. After the World War II some restorations and some other limitative excavation have occurred

Leave a Reply

Ваш e-mail не будет опубликован. Обязательные поля помечены *