Metropolitan Museum of Art Visitors Guide
Monica Arellano-Ongpin/maong/flickr.com Creative Commons License
Metropolitan Museum of Art in Brief:
One of New York City's most popular tourist attractions. the Metropolitan Museum of Art welcomes over 5 million visitors a year. The Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection and special exhibits offer something for everyone — from Ancient Egyptian Vases and Roman Statues to Tiffany Stained Glass and Rembrandt Paintings there is something for nearly everyone. If you're overwhelmed by the sheer size and breadth of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection, take a Highlights Tour .
Getting to the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
- Address: 1000 Fifth Avenue (Upper East Side Map )
- Cross Streets: 5th Avenue and 82th Street
- Nearest Subways: Take the 4/5/6 to 86th Street. Walk west to 5th Avenue and then south to 82th Street.
Metropolitan Museum of Art Basics:
Metropolitan Museum of Art Admission:
- $25 Adult
- $17 Seniors
- $12 Students
- Free for Children under 12 with a paid adult
- Free for Members
- Prices are "recommended" — any donation will gain you access to the Museum
- Access to special exhibits is included with admission
- Admission includes same-day admission to The Cloisters
Metropolitan Museum of Art Hours:
- Sunday — Thursday: 9:30 a.m. — 5:30 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday 9:30 a.m. — 9 p.m.
- Galleries are cleared 15 minutes before closing
Metropolitan Museum of Art Tours:
- Museum Highlights Tours : Offered throughout the day, these volunteer led one hour tours are a great introduction to the Museum's collections (free with admission)
- Gallery Talks : These one hour talks фокус on the contents of a single gallery (free with admission)
- Audio Guides : Get detailed information at your own pace and on pieces of your choice (not all pieces are included), including the Museum's permanent collection and special exhibitions ($7, $6 for members, $5 for children under 12)
About the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
The contents of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's permanent collection represent a diversity of age, medium and geographic origin. The Egyptian Art collection includes pieces from 300,000 B.C. ? 4th century A.D. Other elements of the permanent collection include Musical Instruments, Modern Art, and The Cloisters. To get a better idea of the variety and breadth of the over 2 million pieces of art that are part of the Met's collection, consult their website's Collection information, which includes a searchable database as well as online galleries of highlights from the various departments.
The collections of the Metropolitan Museum attract more visitors than any other attraction in New York City, about 5 million per year. It is impossible to see the entire collection in one day, or even in a few days, so I recommend you choose an area or two of interest, or take the Museum Highlights Tour which occurs throughout the day, starting around 10:15 a.m.
Notable Works: With such an extensive and comprehensive collection of art, it is difficult to pick out the highlights, however the Met's website offers a several suggested itineraries which highlight ways to take in a selection of the Museum's offerings.
share on facebook pin to pinterest