College of North West London
The College of North West London (CNWL ) is a further education college in North West London offering a wide range of full time and part time courses, from beginner level to degree level.
CNWL can trace it roots back to 1890, and the formation of Willesden Polytechnic, on the site of the current Kilburn campus.
From 1893, the Willesden committee for technical education organized classes in Willesden town hall. In 1896 Middlesex County Council bought the St. Lawrence institute in Priory Park Road, and by 1898 The Willesden Polytechnic was formed with 1,571 students. A new building was developed for the polytechnic, opeПing in 1904 on Glengall Road, Kilburn. [ 1 ] As World War I took it toll on the male working class population, the polytechnic offered a course in 1917 to women between the ages of 18 to 35 inlight woodwork for aeroplane components. [ 2 ]
From 1932, Middlesex County Council undertook a large development in Willesden, and in 1934 split the polytechnic into Kilburn Polytechnic (on the original site), and the new Willesden College of Technology. [ 1 ] [ 3 ] By 1934, the original St. Lawrence Institute building had been demolished, and replaced by the present four-story block. By 1978 there were 1,400 full-time and 4,500 part-time enrolments. [ 1 ]
Willesden College of Technology opened in Denzil Road in 1934, [ 3 ] to provide the technical courses originally provided by the polytechnic, including the schools of art and building. In 1964 the college took over the buildings of Dudden Hill Lane school. The art school closed in 1959, and in 1969 the school of building amalgamated with other schools to form Sladebrook high school. There were 8,000 enrolments in 1978. [ 1 ]
In 1991, the sites again merged to become the College of North West London. [ 3 ]
CNWL now offers a broad range of courses, from Apprenticeships and Access courses. through to Foundation and full Academic Degrees. On site facilities support both students and the community, through the Tower restaurant to the Student Union .
Developed in 1934 as the Willesden College of Technology, Willesden is the college’s main centre and is situated in Dudden Hill Lane, five minutes’ walk from Dollis Hill tube station on the Jubilee Line. Courses range from Access courses (entry to university), BTEC Diplomas and Certificates and GCSEs to Foundation degrees and higher education qualifications.
The new Telford building was opened officially in March 2009 by Lord Young of the Government’s Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills. It provides high quality traiПing facilities for the Faculty of Technology.
Wembley Park campus
This campus is now based at Arena house. Arena house is easy to access and is opposite Wembley Park tube station. The Tower Restaurant and the salon, which are open to the general public, are both based at this centre.